Saturday, June 10, 2017

Serving Satan

Well, everybody, things are chugging along well and this week we are up to the eleventh story in Aberrant Selected, entitled, Discovered. This tale is of a young homeless man who chooses to abandon his service to God, choosing to serve Satan instead. This choosing of Satan was very deliberate and one that I wrote to be even handed and fair. As I mentioned near the start of this blog I have a God Complex and consequently very much enjoy writing short stories with God as a main character. But then one day I realised I was being somewhat lopsided, and so chose to write a story with Satan as the main character.
     I thought using Satan as a main character would be fairly straightforward but the reality was vastly different; I was very hesitant to call him up, if even only fictionally. Thus, in the story, Satan has no dialogue and is only seen as if through a veil, or through a steamed up window. Even that was too close for comfort for me.
     Mind you, towards the end of Aberrant, Satan makes another appearance, but as a black kitten. Well, the kitten was actually named Lucifer, which was Satan's name before he Fell from the Heavenly Host.
     As I've mentioned earlier, regarding my stories involving God, Satan didn't need his nouns and verbs capitalised either, as was the case with God. This meant that Satan was a much easier character to write than God. That being said though I was glad once the story had been written and had been to my editor. This story, by the way, is currently available, gratis, at The Short Stories Club (www.shortstoriesclub.com) if you'd like to have a real good peak at what Aberrant Selected has to offer. It is certain to be one of the very few times I balance my stories of God with stories of Satan. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment