Saturday, May 12, 2018

A Sudden Delight

G'day again, everyone. I hope things are as tip top with you all as they are with me. In fact, things are super tip top, now that word is starting to spread about Aberrant. Anyway, today I will tell you why I wrote the thirty-fourth story in the collection, entitled, Tonga Discovers. This story is based upon a real event that happened to me when I was homeless in inner city Melbourne, specifically North Melbourne, in a homeless refuge. I had one night snuck into the kitchen area of a Salvation Army homeless hostel, and was very surprised, and eventually delighted, to see a chicken Maryland, with veges and gravy, all heaped invitingly on a plate, innocently waiting for someone, in the area where the Salvos staff hand out the meals. I looked at the meal for about thirty seconds, wondering if I could really be so lucky. Then I ravenously ate the whole thing. I left the plate on one of the tables, and left the kitchen area, wondering if I had done wrong.
     The next day or so I overheard some other homeless men in the shelter talking about some bastard who had stole a resident's dinner, one that had been specifically put aside for him, and for which he had duly paid. I said nothing, and this is the very first time I have told anyone of that theft. Ah well, forgive me, I was semi-starved at the time, and living like a semi-wild animal.
     Anyway, I do not regret stealing that other resident's dinner. It was a brief ray of light in a world that was otherwise shrouded in the growing gloom of untreated paranoid schizophrenia. I do though hope the Salvos replaced the poor guy's meal. I really do.

No comments:

Post a Comment