Saturday, October 15, 2016

Being Under Control

  •  [excuse the bullet points, everyone; my blogger is having issues.]This week in our continuing discussion of schizophrenia symptoms we'll talk about extremely disorganised or abnormal motor behaviour. The Mayo Clinic defines this as: '[extremely disorganised or abnormal motor behaviour] may show in a number of ways, from childlike silliness to unpredictable agitation. Behavior isn't focused on a goal, so it's hard to do tasks. Behavior can include resistance to instructions, inappropriate or bizarre posture, a complete lack of response, or useless and excessive movement.'  (http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/schizophrenia/symptoms-causes/dxc-20253198) 
  • None of the characters in Aberrant Selected have this particular symptom and I myself have only had about two brief, but intense, episodes of it. In the first one I became convinced that on my approaching twenty-sixth birthday a handheld harp, and the most magical, would be gifted to me. It was invisible and I often imagined actively practising it in the weeks leading up to my birthday. I had even organised a party to hear me play on the occasion, the most powerful time to play it. I think I named it, The Golden Harp. The eventual performance was brief, and, I now imagine in hindsight, awkward. 
  • The second brief but intense experience of this symptom was when I discovered the only true communication, universally understood. This involved holding ones hands, palm down, fingers slightly parted, and the middle fingers pointing downwards, directly out from one. Perfect communication is then achieved by coughing whilst talking and twirling the middle fingers circularly. I often did this while getting some noodles for dinner from a convenience shop in Newton, inner city Sydney, thus proving its effectiveness.
  • All in all I guess one could basically classify the schizophrenic characters in Aberrant Selected as simply being too imaginative for their own good. The symptoms expressed by the characters thus become engaging, and actually something to be lauded. Deiyl Fillem is such a character, to be highly commended for his devotion to Luna, the Moon. Still, I'm glad I've had so little abnormal motor behaviour. Something more to gain from being in complete remission with the schizophrenia. Thank God!

No comments:

Post a Comment